Cats & Quilts - a match made in heaven... (except maybe those stubborn little clouds of fur that latch on to the fabric!)

Kitty Quote of the Day

I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul. - Jean Cocteau

Saturday, April 14, 2012

My New Daisy Tablerunner

My latest project finished for myself is the Dreaming of Daisies Tablerunner. This appeared in the Creating Country Threads magazine, issue 12.6 & is designed by our lovely Fee from Designs By Fee.


Above is Fee's design in the magazine made using a gorgoeus Honey Bun Roll. (My Hun-bun is so proud they named some fabric packs after him!) I needed it bigger to fit on my chest coffee table that I hide lots & lots of balls of wool in. The sides & top are glass so I can admire the yarny goodness as I sit & stitch.

I needed the size much bigger so used a jelly roll & instead of three lots of stitchery I planned for seven. Naturally I did the stitchery months ago & then it took me awhile to do the machine sewing. Here's the finished project.


I hope my stitcheries look perfectly spaced? It's a good thing I use Appli-Kay Wonder which isn't permantly in place until you iron it as I used a ruler & moved those mocha coloured squares so many times until my anally retentive self was happy the spacing was exact.


The bain of my existenace is not being able to confidently free motion quilt (because I don't put in the hours of practise required). I stitched in the ditch on all the pink & blue strips & did a fancy leaf stitch a quarter inch in on every brown strip. That's not perfect but turned out quite cute. It was the addition of the mocha linen behind the stitcheries that brought everything together & made it work. The stitcheries are in a variegated purple floss.

The best part is the jelly roll from Spotlight was a gift from a dear friend who doesn't quilt. Not only does this friend not quilt, but is a non-quilting male! He's a bit of a jet for picking fabrics though & I have had some lovely japanese fabrics from Tamworth (cut out for a hexie bag but not sewn yet!) & a nice brights pack of fat quarters that came with this jelly roll. Well chosen FWA!


Here's my dimema for today - this morning my wireless mouse is deceased (maybe Hun-bun batted it too much) so it's back to the wired mouse. According to the pic below I am now a modern cat but I am feeling decidely like I am back to being an ancient cat!


Happy Mousing!
Tracee xx

15 comments:

  1. Your table runner is beautiful. Well done. I bet it looks perfect on your table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great adaption of Fee's pattern

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tracee your runner is beautiful,love the fabrics,you are so clever,well done.So funny about the mouse.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your table runner and the cat photos gave me a little giggle. hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your table runner. Beautiful colours. I was at the Easter show the other day a found a store which sold all sorts of little cat knick-knacks and I thought of you. I took some photos and will show you (when I stop being lazy and upload them).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why have I not found your blog for so long??? Doh!!!! Love the runner. You have done a great job. Would love to see the trunk it's sitting on .. that has me fascinated. Keep the furry feline cartoons and comments coming. x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure if you have seen this but I thought of it as soon as you mentioned your mouse not working.

    This memo is from an unnamed computer company. It went to all field engineers about a computer peripheral problem. The author of this memo was quite serious, the engineers rolled on the floor.

    Mouse balls are now available as FRU (field replacement units) therefore, if a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement.

    Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel. Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse.
    Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls.

    Ball removal procedures differ depending upon the manufacturer of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop off method.
    Domestic balls are replaced by using the twist off method.
    Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge.
    Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately. It is recommended that each engineer have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction.
    Any customer missing his balls should suspect local personnel of removing these necessary items
    http://www.avolites.org.uk/jokes/mouse.htm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great runner...should be perfect for the chest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fantastic - Great Job and love the changes you made. I do that with patterns too - Can't help myself :) And yes they do look evenly spaced. Well done xxxx Hugs - Fee xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post and beautiful runner....wish you'd share a photo of the table, though...
    Did you replace the battery in the wireless mouse?

    I was often seeing your pretty face on the SAL blog and decided to pop over and have a look see here. I like what I see. Now I'm going to check out that pin cushion in your sidebar picture.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that pattern by Fee and loooooooove how yours looks! Beautiful!
    Those cat and mouse photos made me laugh. Yes, as Mama Bear said, did you check the battery?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful... and how clever to adapt it to fit what you need..
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous runner - I adore the colors!!! Well done girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just beautiful Tracee! And your stitcheries look perfectly spaced too!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you friends for leaving a comment on my post - love to get them! Tracee xx